What Food Is Dangerous For Dogs?

Looking for a list of dangerous foods for dogs? Here’s a quick rundown of some of the most common items that can be harmful to your furry friend.

Checkout this video:


Dogs should not eat chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is poisonous to dogs in large amounts. The amount of theobromine in chocolate varies by type of chocolate, with baker’s chocolate having the highest levels. The median lethal dose (LD50) of theobromine in dogs is 192 mg/kg.

Grapes and raisins

Grapes and raisins can be poisonous to dogs and should be avoided. Symptoms of grape or raisin toxicity can occur within 24 hours of ingestion and can include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and abdominal pain. In severe cases, grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. If you think your dog has ingested grapes or raisins, call your veterinarian immediately.


Onions, both cooked and raw, are dangerous for dogs and can cause anemia. Garlic is in the same family as onions and is also dangerous for dogs. Make sure to keep your dog away from onions, garlic, leeks, shallots, and chives.


Garlic belongs to the onion family and is poisonous to dogs. It can damage a dog’s red blood cells and cause anemia. garlic is used as a food seasoning and dogs can be poisoned if they eat enough of it.


Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is often used as a sugar substitute. It is found in many sugar-free products, such as gum, candy, baked goods, and some fruit juices. It can also be used as a sugar substitute in baking. Although xylitol is safe for humans, it is poisonous to dogs and can be deadly. Symptoms of xylitol poisoning in dogs include vomiting, lethargy, loss of coordination, seizures, and coma. If you think your dog has eaten something containing xylitol, call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 immediately.

Macadamia nuts

Macadamia nuts are one of the most dangerous foods for dogs. They contain an oil that is toxic to dogs and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, tremors, and paralysis. If your dog ingests even a small amount of macadamia nut, contact your veterinarian immediately.


Avocados contain a toxin called persin. Persin is found in the fruit, leaves, and pits of avocados and can be harmful to dogs if ingested in large enough quantities. The signs and symptoms of avocado toxicity in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and difficulty breathing. If you think your dog has eaten an avocado, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Coffee, tea and energy drinks

Coffee, tea and energy drinks can be dangerous for dogs. The caffeine in these beverages can cause increased heart rate, restlessness and anxiety in dogs. In severe cases, caffeine poisoning can lead to death.


Just like with humans, alcohol is dangerous for dogs and can cause serious health problems. Alcohol poisoning is one of the most serious dangers of alcohol for dogs and can lead to death. Dogs are much more sensitive to the effects of alcohol than humans and even a small amount can be toxic. If you think your dog has consumed alcohol, it is important to take them to the vet immediately. Other dangers of alcohol for dogs include:

-Dips in blood sugar levels which can cause seizures
-Increased risk of injuries from falls or other accidents
-Aggression or changes in behavior
-Gastrointestinal problems such as vomiting and diarrhea
-Decreased body temperature which can lead to hypothermia
-Respiratory problems


Tobacco products of all kinds are dangerous for dogs. Cats are also affected by tobacco, but to a lesser extent. Cigarettes, cigars, tobacco in any form is potentially poisonous to both dogs and cats. The severity of the symptoms depends on the amount of tobacco ingested and the size of the animal. Smaller dogs and puppies are more susceptible to toxicity from ingesting tobacco than larger dogs.

Symptoms of nicotine poisoning in dogs may include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, tremors, weakness, seizures and even death. Symptoms usually appear within two hours of ingestion and can last for several days. If you suspect your dog has ingested tobacco products, contact your veterinarian or local emergency animal hospital immediately.

Scroll to Top